CR-V Camper Conversion Part 6 is admittedly behind schedule. Hell, part 5 was over a month ago. What the hell have I been doing? Have I given up?

Nah. I’ve been busy. There’s been a lot going on lately. Often, when I do find myself with a little time to spare, the weather isn’t playing nicely. The time change over Halloween weekend didn’t help either. All of a sudden the only daylight I have to work with is on the weekends.

Anyway, this last weekend I did manage to make a little progress. I’ve yet to finish the surface of the sleeping platform. There’s good news though. In my long absence away from the project, I was able to come up with ideas to squeeze in a little more storage.

It’s not much extra storage, mind you, but every little bit helps. In my last entry on this project, I stapled some pieces of hardboard to the bottom sides of the smaller cubbies. The idea was that I’d build some flip up lids to use those areas for storage of smaller things.

Since then I had time to come up with a similar concept for the bigger spaces. At first, I tried to staple some heavy canvas to the bottom, and that worked alright, but it didn’t look quite as nice as I would have preferred, not that it has to look awesome. I then tore that out when I came up with idea of using some thin plywood cut to size held in place by shelf pins. Below is a picture of what the shelf pins look like. I didn’t bother measuring for precision. The thin plywood will be somewhat pliable and not visible in the finished product anyway.

Picture of some of the shelf pins installed around the bottom edges of the 2x4s
I installed shelf pins around the perimeters of the areas I hope to claim a little extra storage.

I probably could have managed straighter cuts, but it also could have been worse. It works pretty good, assuming that the access panels I eventually build into the top surface do what they’re supposed to. You can’t see in the following picture, but I also installed a bottom panel into the front part of of the sleeping surface. That’s the loose front piece that will ride on top of the back half while in transit. When set up for sleeping, it will be nudged forward with legs underneath it, and latched into place.

Picture of underlayment cut and installed to rest on top of shelf pins
Underlayment is cut to size and installed in the larger of the voids created by the frame. These, like the hardboard I stapled under the smaller cubbies, will provide for additional storage.

It sure doesn’t look like much, but I’m thinking that between all three of these new spaces, it could easy hold enough clothes for two people camping for two or three days, as well as towels and sheets. I can’t wait to try it out.

That’s it for “CR-V Camper Conversion – Part 6,” but part 7 should finally include progress on the actual sleeping surface. Hopefully it isn’t delayed nearly as long as this one was.

Follow-Up

I need to append the costs incurred for this stage. All that was added was a package of shelf pins and some underlayment, which comes in at $30.12 The total so far remains under a hundred bucks. $97.28 is the grand total.