“CR-V Camper Conversion – Part 7” looks to be going live a whole six weeks after the last post on the project. Wow, the holidays really set me back. I took two days off after Christmas from work to make sure I didn’t lose any vacation time. I didn’t have anything better to do, so I spent much of that time making some much needed progress. Needless to say, I’ve got progress to report. The sleeping surface is all but complete. It’s bare wood with no padding to speak of as of yet, but it’s finally a solid surface.

By the way, in case you haven’t seen the work that has been done up to this, you should go back to the beginning and see how it all started.

The progress covered in this posts relates mostly to installing the top of the sleeping surface to the frame. You wouldn’t think it would have taken so long for something that seems so basic, but the work to be done was more than meets the eye. I had to cut multiple pieces, some of which would be tacked down stationary. Some would have hinges installed and act as little storage spaces. Others would be larger and have finger holes drilled to serve as larger storage spaces.

The Front Third

The front third of the sleeping platform showing its main access panel to a little extra storage space underneath.

The weather was a bit chilly that first day, so I wanted to start on anything that could be done inside. The front third of the sleeping platform is the only piece that isn’t permanently attached to the vehicle itself. So, I was able to bring that portion of the frame inside and work on it there.

The narrower strip seen on left was cut to size. Also, two very thin strips were cut for the the sides (top and bottom of picture). The three of these pieces were tacked down to form a space for the bigger piece with the finger holes to rest between. This piece sits loosely and can be lifted up to access space underneath.

I realized after the fact, that I made a mistake in my sizing of this compartment. I had forgotten that the back 2×4 needs to fit snugly into the “lip” that I built into the front of the main section. With a bottom panel for that storage space, I wasn’t able to do that. I’ll need to make some adjustments to that still, and I’ll lose a little of that space, but it’s not the end of the world.

The Oddball Pieces

The next bit of work was the oddball pieces that would become the outer edges of the back two-thirds of the platform. Two of these pieces needed to be shaped with my jigsaw to fit nicely against the contour of the Honda’s inside edges. The other three were cut to size, and then I installed some piano hinges. Those pieces were destined to be lids for the various smaller access panels. Getting these all cut to size and trimmed was a lot of goofing around, but it had to be done.

The oddball pieces for the outside edge of the back two-thirds of the sleeping platform. The curved pieces will be tacked into place while the others will be installed as lids to access small storage areas.

I continued to do most of this work inside. When I got this far, it was time to start work outside. I cleared space in the garage, set up some good lighting, and got to work. Most of the oddball pieces were easy. The two curved pieces for the back-end, however, were another story. I had to go in and out a few times, adjusting my cuts until they eventually dropped nicely into place around the other pieces. Everything is then tacked down.

Oddball Pieces Installed Around the Back Two-Thirds
With the hinged storage access lids and a couple other oddball pieces installed, it’s starting to come together.
Closeup of Back Storage Space
The back storage space will hold things like spices and kitchen implements.

The Nearly Completed Sleeping Surface

In my opinion, those oddball pieces were the toughest to get right for this stage of the project. Luckily, this project didn’t require preciseness and there was wiggle room for tweaking as needed. All that was left after this, was to cut to size the two lager pieces for the middle and drill a couple finger holes for lifting those for access underneath. I shaved a little off my measurements so they would nestle between all the fixed pieces loosely enough so that they’d lift easily.

Nearly Complete Sleeping Surface Including Front Third
With the top of the sleeping surface finally completed, I could finally test crawling in and out…I need to lose a few pounds, but I managed.

I should mention a general note about the storage space under the access panels. It’s not a lot of space. I feel like the hinged lids will provide excellent storage for smaller items. The larger spaces, on the other hand, will be tough to utilize much. These spaces may cover more area than the small spaces, but they’re still only as deep as the depth of a 2×4. I foresee using these areas for things like towels, clothing, or anything that is soft and will pack flat.

Follow-Up

Well, that’s all I’m going to post for “CR-V Camper Conversion – Part 7.” Before I sign off though, I should probably do my due diligence and add new expenses to my running total. This progress added a total of $75.55 to my total. This included a full sheet of 3/4″ plywood. I purchased it in pre-cut pieces that totaled a full sheet. That made it more expensive, but saved me some hassle in transporting it. There are also the two shorter piano hinges for the side storage, and the one longer one for the back. This makes the running grand total $172.83. The costs are starting to add up. But for a project like this, it’s not much, and it keeps me out of trouble.

As for next steps, I still need to work out ideas for a leg or legs for the slide out tabletop. There are also a few adjustments to existing work that I’ll need to make as well. I’ll cover those then.

Thanks for reading.