Progress has been slow, but CR-V Camper Conversion – Part 8 shows progress, nonetheless. In this entry, I make a fix to correct a miscalculation for the storage compartment under the front piece of the sleeping platform. I also figure out a workable solution for a leg to hold up the slide out table top. Then, I finally put the rest of the spring hasps I purchased months back. These will secure the loose front piece of the sleeping platform to the fixed back piece.

Before I get started, here’s where it all began.

Fixing the Front Storage

Let’s talk about the correction first. A few entries back, I had installed some shelf brackets around the bottom edges of my storage compartments. I also cut some thin plywood to size to fill those spaces and serve as the bottom support for items that would be stowed there. I wasn’t too precise with those measurements. They didn’t need to be perfect. As long as they squeezed in and sat securely on the shelf brackets, they’d serve their purpose.

Unfortunately, I made a mistake. When sizing the support piece for the loose fitting front section of the sleeping platform, I didn’t think ahead. I neglected to remember how the front piece connects to the front beam/lip of the back piece. To solve this, I had to add another beam across the cavity and settle for that storage space being just a little bit smaller. In the picture below, you’ll see an additional length of 2×4 on the left. This was necessary to account for the “lip” of the back portion of the sleeping platform, which helps support the front portion.

Fix to the front storage compartment
The fix made to the front storage compartment results in less space.

While I was at it, I thought I’d check the storage capacity of this space. In the real world, it probably won’t ever be just myself out there on the road. Even then, it’ll probably never be much more than a few days at a time. That said, I was surprised to find that this space was enough for well over a week’s worth of clothing. I think this will work quite well, as long as we pack smartly. Also, this is just one of three similar storage compartments, and the smaller one at that.

Testing the capacity of the front storage space
If it were just me, the front storage space alone could hold enough clothes for a week on the road.

Support for the Slide Out Tabletop

After plenty of toiling over ideas for supporting the slide out table, I finally decided on an option that seemed feasible. It wasn’t perfect, but it didn’t require a whole lot of extra space. For this, I picked up a 3-foot length of hole-punched square pipe. Then, I cut a hole in the outer edge of the tabletop big enough for the pipe to pass through. I dug up some scrap wood and cut a few circular pieces to help with the job.

In the picture below, the small circular piece will support the weight of the tabletop. The eye bolt will support that piece at whichever hole in the pipe allows the tabletop to sit level, or close to it. The bigger circular piece in the picture is actually two pieces of wood glued together with a hole cut in the middle of one. This will serve as a base for the leg and keep the weight of the tabletop from driving the leg into the dirt.

Support for the slide out tabletop
My solution for supporting the weight of the slide out tabletop involves a three-foot length of hole-punched square pipe, a sturdy base for the leg, and the combination of an eye bolt and another chunk of wood to hold the tabletop level.

Here’s a picture of testing the tabletop slid out and set up. By itself, the new leg feels a little wobbly. But when the other end is anchored to the sleeping platform with the same carriage bolts that will keep it from banging around when in transit, it’s a fairly sturdy setup. It’s not perfect, but shit…none of this is. That’s the beauty of it. I do like that it doesn’t take up much more space. The leg comes out and be easily accessible right inside the hatchback.

Testing the slide out tabletop with its new leg
With one end of the tabletop secured by carriage bolts to the sleeping platform, the new leg does a great job of adding support to the other end.

Anchoring the Front to the Back

Finally, I used the rest of the six spring hasps, or whatever they’re called, to anchor the front portion of the sleeping platform to the back. This will keep it from sliding around when in transit, which is a huge concern. It is quite heavy, after all.

Anchoring the front piece to the back piece for when in transit
I used the other four spring hasps as anchors to hold the front piece of the sleeping platform in place.

Follow-Up

That’s it for CR-V Camper Conversion – Part 8, but before I wrap it up, let’s add the new expenses into the running cost total. Let’s see…one chunk of 2×4, the square pipe for the tabletop leg, and an eye bolt were $19.80. The other 4 toggle latches…that’s what they’re called…was $9.60. That brings the running total to $202.23.

Next steps include cleaning up the sawdust that has collected, perhaps sanding down some edges, and coming up with an idea to hold up the lids of the storage compartment when necessary.